Sunday, September 24, 2006

Our Experiences in Life

I believe that what you become in life is greatly impacted by your personal and professional experiences. I have this theory that our experiences in life help us to become what we are intended to be. As I mentioned in my first post of this blog, some experiences in life are happy and some are incrediby painful. I also believe that everything happens for a reason, that people walk into our lives to teach us the lessons we need to know. It would be alot easier if we all came into the world knowing everything we need to know but that's not the way it is. The more painful the experience, the greater the lesson.

My experience with my ex-husband was incredibly painful but it was truly a blessing in disguise. I would not be the person I am today if I had not gone through the pain. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't sign up to go through it again and wouldn't wish it on anyone else. I have but one regret about my experience - that I wasn't able to prevent another woman from the workplace from going through the same thing.

It is not what I learned about Rick or his behavior that was so great but what I learned about myself. And I used what I learned to make changes in myself. I have more respect for myself that I have ever had in life. I look in the mirror and like the person I have become as a result of all the pain. I have used my voice to help others who have gone through similar experiences and that makes the pain worth it. My spiritual growth has been tremendous and I have matured as a human being.